2.28.2013

play among the stars! (I'm back)

I get so excited when the Celebrate the Boy series begins over on Made and Made by Rae! Sometimes, it seems that I can find a million cute ideas to put together for my girl, but for my son...it's limited, to be sure.

So. When Dana from Made graciously posted a free pattern for her Basic Tee, I decided to challenge myself to put together a few things for my boy. It was timely, too, as I had already pulled a bunch of fabric/old material to put together some essentials for him (such as pj pants and shorts). With those things accomplished, I thrifted some fun tees, and got to work!

A hearty Hello to L's "Play Among the Stars" shirt!


This tee was a size large originally (women's. Don't worry...he's two and a half. He doesn't care.) So I knew that I had one shot at making this a shirt that would both fit him (he's 90%tile in height) and look boyish.

Knowing that I wanted to add the collar, I began by giving the shirt a simple v cut in the front. Then, using another polo shirt of his as a guide, I cut and attached the collar. I used bias tape to cover the seam along the neck line, because the knit was getting squirrely, and I didn't want to fuss with hiding inner seams. (Read: I was being lazy. Or in a hurry.)

(Let's go with in a hurry.)


The whole time I was working with this shirt, I had Sinatra singing "Fly Me To The Moon" bouncing around in my head.  Thus, the "Let Me Play Among the Stars" title seemed more than appropriate. I added a rocket by hand with embroidery floss, which delighted my son. (Those pants? The length? yeah...the reason I was on a mission to knock a few new pair out!)


While I in no way call myself an expert seamstress/pattern alterer? alternator? I am fairly pleased with how this shirt turned out. Hurray for Celebrate the Boy!

Thanks for stopping by...I would be happy to have your comments/thoughts. Want to follow me? I'll gladly return the favor! :)

 photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg
-->

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you...I have been enjoying your creations, as well!!

      Delete
  2. Such a cute shirt! And I love the embroidery. I didn't notice it before these photos. I cannot believe you just added a collar, so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's gratifying that he does, too :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, I LOVE that embroidered rocket ship - so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I was surprised by how excited he was by it, as well. Makes it extra worth the effort :)

      Delete
  5. SO cute! And the rocket is so charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you checking out and commenting on my posts :)

      Delete
  6. He looks so cute in it, and it's fun that he loves it so much too! Great job! Again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts...