3.05.2012

{parade of pants: upcycled toddler pants from women's dress}

That post title is a mouthful, isn't it? But I love these pants even more than the previous big butt baby pants, and I want you to know they came from one of my old dresses!

I wish I had thought to take pictures when I made these, but I didn't know how they were going to turn out, so I skipped the pictures, crossed my fingers, hoped for the best.

And I am really proud of them.


So I'll try to use words to show you what I should have taken pictures of. I started with an old cord dress of mine. It was ankle length, and buttoned up the front, top to bottom. I used the skirt as the main fabric for the pants, using a pair of my son's existing pants as my pattern.

I knew I wanted to use the buttons on the sides of either pant leg, so I made sure to cut four pant pieces, lining up the pieces so that the side seams would fall on the button area of the dress.


Then, when I sewed the pieces together, I made sure the dress' original button flap folded over the outer side seams that held the pants together. So it looks like the pants button at the top sides, but in truth, it's just the buttons sewn on and pushed through the button holes from the original flap. The seam is hidden underneath, top to bottom.


The backs turned out pretty cute, too, because I cut the pieces so that the original side seams of the dress would go up the back leg for added interest.

I know that was a big mess of words, but hopefully, if you try to upcycle your dress, you'll be able to get a sense of how I went about this.

I love these pants on my boy even more, especially with his little blue converses and a white tee!

I'm fairly certain my children dress better than I do.

2 comments:

  1. I love how these turned out - I adore grey corduroy, it goes with everything and you certainly made the most of the details from your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I kind of want these to fit him forever...they do really go with everything!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts...