1.21.2012

{leah tunic sew along}

One of the things that makes me fall in love with a blog is their willingness to share tutorials of the awesome things they've made! Don't misunderstand me - I totally appreciate the fact that so many items from blogs are pattern worthy, and I have no trouble paying for a good, solid pattern either. But when you stumble across a blog that is so diligent about providing detailed tutorials for darn near anything, it's like your birthday! In my opinion, Craftiness Is Not Optional is such a blog.

I have been keeping an eye on the blog's sew-alongs for quite some time, and I finally decided to give the Leah Tunic a shot. I'm pretty pleased with the end results, too!


I used one  yard of fabric for my (almost) 5 year old, and that worked pretty well. The fabric I found at Hobby Lobby on sale for $3/yard (I know, I know, it wasn't on hand, BUT the bias tape and thread were!)


I love the shirt's details, like the little cap sleeves and the pockets.


The tunic seems to run a bit large on her right now, but that's okay. Despite our 70 degree weather, it is still only January, so I'm hoping this will take her well into summer!


I'll definitely be making another of these in the future. Maybe when I get brave enough to try my hand at making my own bias tape, too!

2 comments:

  1. Your little bluebird looks darling! I love the fabric--you have such a good eye for interesting non-traditional prints. I especially like the orange bias tape with it. (Making your own is super easy too, and a little bit addicting when you realize you can use any cute fabric to make it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I love the pockets. Bias tape is easy to make but time consuming. Let me know if you get a bias machine. Wait, no big dill just had a bias tape post. I never made it like she shows, her way looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts...