11.07.2011

{falling leaves tutorial}

create.
I hail from a land where Autumn strikes quickly...leaves turn a multitude of glorious colors, fall daily to the ground until only those last die hards are left clinging tenaciously to bare branches, spotlights of red and amber.

I currently reside in a land where it is still getting up to 70 degrees, and today a bumblebee successfully spooked my daughter by flying directly in her line of vision. A bee. In November. And the leaves will turn, and be glorious, but it's happening too slowly for me...

...so I took matters into my own hands.


The great thing about this tutorial is that it can be as involved (or uninvolved!) as you'd like!

You will need:
cardstock
felt in your colors of choice
scissors
tracing marker (I used a Sharpie. Very professional.)
Optionals:
embroidery thread
clear thread

First, I used my Silhouette to cut out my leaf patterns on cardstock. The same result could easily be achieved with printing out leaf shapes you find online, too!


Using aforementioned Sharpie (turquoise, btw), I traced several copies of my leaves in two different sizes onto five colors of felt.


As I began to cut, I gave my daughter the cardstock patterns to color, and they will soon adorn our windows!
She finished her coloring as I finished my pile, and suddenly, we had Autumn in our kitchen!!


Now, for all of those optional materials. Because I had two different sizes of leaves cut out, I used embroidery floss to sew two colors together, embellishing with different sized stitches and colors, to give each leaf a chunky, hand sewn look. (this bunch of 9 took me about one and half episodes of Castle to complete!)


Finally, because I wanted them to be "falling", I attached a string of clear thread to each one and hung them from our mantle.


And now, in the middle of 70 degree weather, we have our falling autumn leaves!

(If you do your own variation, I'd love for you to share with me!)

1 comment:

  1. Super cute! I love the homespun look you gave them with the embroidery and the clear thread is a great idea. And you measured the time for hand sewing just as a crafter should!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts...